CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday 31 August 2007

Lessons in parenthood

I have the pleasure of Mini Adult’s company again today and tomorrow. She is asleep now, preparing for our big day out tomorrow!

I picked her up after work and we went to the cinema. After some debate we ended up seeing The Simpsons (she wanted to see Bratz – I refused as the dolls scare me, have you seen the size of their eyes!?) – turned out to be a good choice, though Mini Adult was not impressed with seeing a naked Bart! I was put off my pick and mix by the teenage couple in front of us trying to remove each others tonsils with their tongues (I have no problem with this, but that’s what the back row is for!), however a few subtle kicks to the backs of their seats soon resolved matters! I have to say that having the residue of a raging hangover didn’t endear me to their slurps at all.

Tomorrow, we are going to something called the Eco Park with Best Friend and The Cool Kid. I’m not entirely sure what it’s all about, but I have been told I will learn about dinosaurs and ‘the world’ (which seems like a very broad subject to me). Mini Adult and The Cool Kid are very excited, Best Friend has assured me she has all the parental type stuff under control and all I have to do is turn up with money and obey instructions!

Best Friend and I have done a few trips out with the kids. As much as I am perfectly capable of making sure Mini Adult is safe, fed and watered, I am not a natural parent. Best Friend is. She’s the one that has the plasters, spare drinks and tissues to hand. My role on these trips is to generally act the idiot, make them laugh and tire them out! Best Friend normally informs me before hand if anything further will be required of me, so I have time to prepare myself. I have had no such instructions for tomorrow, so I am assuming that I’m safe. However, I am going to have to pay attention to what Best Friend does; I have promised Mini Adult that I will take her to London for the day in a few weeks. Maybe I should take notes…

4 comments:

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Awww that made me laugh. My nephew is 11 now, so I am no longer cool, he prefers his skateboard I think, but when he was about 4 he thought I was 'ace'. My sister always said it was because he was under the impression we were the same age :-)

alcoment said...

F - I'm ok at the moment, I'm still cool but I don't think it's going to last much longer! But never mind, when that happens I'll still have Little Person (Mini Adult's sister) to impress!

Agnes - See, my arguement has always been that sleeves are fine! Can you talk to Best Friend for me? Though, to be fair to her, it's usually me that needs the plaster...

Oh, and I have just realised I'm not going to be able to smoke in this place for a whole bloody day! I am currently chain smoking whilst making sure Mini Adult is getting ready. The only slight problem was when I momentarily confused the hairbrush with my cigarette!

Rosie said...

As long as you are the auntie/friend you have no danger of really losing your cool quotient unless you suddenly start wearing hairnets and support hose. As long as you aren't the parent units there's all sorts of stuff you can do to impress.

alcoment said...

Rosie - Thanks for the reassurance but I fear it may be too late. There was an incident yesterday (blog in a bit) which has caused the move to Embarassing Adult! I may have my work cut out to regain cool status, but that may have to wait until she's gone through teenagehood...