CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday 10 August 2007

Walk this way...

Ok, I have had yet a further sign that I am slowly losing my mind. I have agreed to take part in a 15 mile sponsored walk at the end of this month. It is for a local group that is raising money to enable people with either mental health issues or physical disabilities to access sporting facilities. As I work in mental health and are meant to advocate the benefits of things like this, I really should take part.

It’s not that I’m lazy, I’m just very specific about what kind of exercise I take part in and walking isn’t one of them, I’m more of a taxi girl. I used to belong to a gym, unfortunately that turned out to be the five most expensive gym sessions of my life until I finally got round to cancelling my membership. I love swimming and things such as rounders if I’m with friends, but walking 15 miles? I’m not sure how that’s going work out. I walk to work everyday and a few other places, but it is rarely more than a couple of miles at a time.

So far I’ve got quite a bit of sponsorship; though I have a feeling many people are sponsoring me for the entertainment value alone!! Best Friend isn’t sponsoring me but is paying me £15 for vodka and cigarettes at the end – they will definitely be needed. She is also going to be my cheerleader, having already made up a chant and will be texting me encouragement throughout the day.

Maybe I should consider doing some training. Do you think increasing the amount of times I walk to Starbucks or the off licence counts…

2 comments:

Rosie said...

I did a sponsored walk like this in my 20s without training. I made it but couldn't move the day after everything froze up. Took me two days to recover. I'm just sayin'. Better lay in supplies for AFTER...know what I mean?

alcoment said...

Ah, I wondered if it was going to be the next day that caused more of a problem. I'll make sure I've got everything I'll need to make myself feel better!