CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday 25 August 2007

What did you say?

Have you ever been in the situation where someone has said something that has sounded so plausible, that you haven’t realised what they’ve actually said until it’s too late? Agnes Mildew’s post on Hex My Ex reminded me of a situation that happened with Mr Playmate.

This was when we used to work together. We had been off training for the day and were on the long journey home. It was much further way from where we usually train, so Mr Playmate had driven.

The sun was beginning to set and as we were driving along, Mr Playmate suddenly said to me “Look, it’s a full sun”.

Dutifully looking at the sun, I saw that it was and agreed with him.

Silence.

Cue me, five minutes later, suddenly sitting up straight and saying “But it’s always a full sun”.

Mr Playmate looked me in the eye (very dangerous when driving – don’t do it) and said “I know”.

And began to laugh.

A lot.

I can be a bit stupid sometimes about really basic things. It’s like my brain just doesn’t kick into gear. As he had said it in such a plausible manner, I didn’t pick up on what he had actually said. I should have known and been paying attention. Mr Playmate will happily trip me up where he can.

7 comments:

Agnes Mildew said...

I reckon, for situations such as these, you need to confound in return, and thus, here's a piece of handy dandy Latin for you to curse with:

OMNIS ORATIO MORIBUS CONSONET.

Lit. Your vocabulary is in perfect harmony with your horrid habits...

alcoment said...

Thanks for that. I will attempt to memorise it for future use. I doubt it will be that long until I need it...

Rosie said...

You never know what you are going to learn...or where. I heard Latin was making a come back. Better copy that little phrase down right away.

As for people tripping you up, well let's just say I had 5 smart-assed brothers and I now work in a fire department with lots of men who like pranks. Good humor has become a survival skill. :)

fishwithoutbicycle said...

That's cute. Although I think I would have treated him to a withering glance or an eyeroll for that one. Hope your blisters are healing after your sponsored walk. Thanks for the lovely review. Your blog is a daily stop for me too, I enjoy it immensely.

F

alcoment said...

rosie - I think this phrase may come in very useful for quite a few of us. Maybe we should ask agnes to teach us some more? I can see that 5 brothers would prepare you well for working in a fire department!

F - I'm afraid he got more than a withering glance, my responses to Mr Playmate tend to be much more, umm...unladylike? than that! You're welcome about the review, I meant every word.

Heather said...

i like to think of myself as highly edumacated, but i'm afraid that one would have gotten past me too.

in fact, it wasn't until I read your comment that "it's always a full sun," that i was like "ooooh. she's right it is."

sheesh.

alcoment said...

Thanks Wishful, I'm glad I'm not the only one! If you have your own Mr Playmate, then try using the phrase that Agnes has taught us, it may come in handy.