CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday 27 August 2007

Macho men

One thing that always makes me smile is when I see groups of lads trying to look ‘hard’.

I’m not talking about the ones that are serious, but the ones who look like they should be at home, having their tea cooked by Mummy Dearest and bartering to be allowed to go out to the local youth club.

You can usually spot them a mile off. They tend to be wearing the uniform of baggy jeans (nicely ironed with a crease down the front – thanks Mum!) that show off their boxers (buy a belt – I will lend you the money if you need it) and sporting a hat that’s kind of perched on the top of their head. The big giveaway is the fake ‘street speak’; they have all the right phrases but unfortunately can’t hide the fact that they were raised to ‘talk properly’ and are making a deliberate effort to drop their T’s and H’s.

I encountered such a group today. I was walking along, when I looked up to see 3 lads swaggering towards me (please stop doing this, I either assume you have a problem with your hips, or that you’ve bought those weird trainers with springs in the soles) taking up the whole path. I carried on, knowing full well that their training would mean they would stand aside to let me pass.

I had to suppress a giggle when all of a sudden I heard “Ow, that hedge got me”.

I glanced round to see one of them rubbing his arm, before giving the aforementioned hedge a very cross glare and checking that he wasn’t bleeding. It was all I could do not to offer to get him a hanky and a plaster.

Sorry boys, it kind of spoilt the effect…

3 comments:

Agnes Mildew said...

I'm glad to read that your local Yoof have been brought up nicely even if they try to shake off their middle class roots.

Our Yoof have not been 'brought up'. They are still slithering around in the gutter. They are not very pleasant, to put it mildly. And they incurred my wrath last year when they intimidated my bunnies. Nasty specimens.

Aw, poor lad scratching his arm, though...wee soul! Maybe he will show it off proudly as battle wounds.

Heather said...

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

dude. my younger brother used to be one of these posers. would drive my mother to distraction when he wouldn't wear his belt and his pants would droop.

what's even funnier is now he's totally preppy banker boy. Every time the subject (or photo) of his butt-bearing jeans comes up, he gets all angry-like.

which of course, prompts me to say:

"aw, come on brett. we know you wuz jus' chillin' and rollin' wit da homies'"

i'm the only one who laughs.

alcoment said...

Agnes - these are the nice yoof, that I have quite a soft spot for. They often look quite sweet and fluffy! Unfortunately, on my street, there is quite a large number of the serious ones that I try to have little to do with.

And, yes, I could quite see the macho man proudly showing off his slight graze!

Hope your bunnies were ok.

Wishful - had to laugh, that sounds just like my brother. He's now a successful businessman (I'm still not sure what he does!) but there are some photo's of him in some really dodgy clothes. They are invalauble in blackmail terms!