CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday 2 September 2007

Educational Activities

Well, the trip to the Eco Park with Mini Adult and the others was certainly educational, but not necessarily in the way I thought it was going to be. Looking back, I think the two main lessons yesterday were How To Effectively Embarrass The Kids and How Not To Get Out Of A Pedallo.

The Eco Park was fun, somewhat educational for the kids but, as is often the case, more so for the supposed grown up’s. It was in the section all about land and farming that my first lesson took place.

There was a display of animated vegetables singing a very catchy song about how cool they were. The problem was that Best Friend and I could not resist dancing, much to Mini Adult’s and The Cool Kid’s shame. Of course, the more disapproving and embarrassed they looked, the more this encouraged us. It is lucky that neither Best Friend or I have any problem with making idiots of ourselves in public: the disapproval radiating from the kids and the realization that we had in fact attracted a much wider audience of other visitors may have stopped less hardy souls, but not us. As Mini Adult and The Cool Kid scuttled away from our foot stamping and hip shaking, we heard mutterings of “You just can’t take them anywhere” and “Let’s pretend they’re not with us”. Oh, and for those of you that know of my burlesque ambitions you will be pleased that the, much needed, improvement in my sense of rhythm has been achieved through farmyard music!

After lunch, the kids agreed to acknowledge our existence again (it’s amazing the power having the ice cream money can have!) and decided that we would all go on a pedallo. It was a lot of fun, though I was worried about the fact that I had already had about 2 years worth of exercise in a couple of weeks and that pedalling one of these things around a lake may just finish me off! Best Friend and Mini Adult had beaten me and The Cool Kid in a race and it was time to get back on dry land. This is when I had my second lesson of the day.

As The Cool Kid was on the dock side of the pedallo, she jumped out first and went to wait with the others. This left me in the situation of having to get myself over two seats and the steering column, all in a rocking bit of plastic! It did not go well. After swaying about for a few minutes and wheeling my arms around in an attempt to keep my balance, I eventually gave up and crawled across and up on to the dock on my hands and knees – not my most elegant exit at all, though everyone else seemed to find it highly amusing! Let this be a lesson for all of you, if you are not the most athletic of people and find yourself on a pedallo, then when you land make sure you are on the dock side and save yourself the indignity.

4 comments:

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Oh that's funny, I can just picture the scene with that pedallo. Oh and will you be the first burlesque dancer to do her routine to Old MacDonald? ;-)

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Love the blog honey. Here's a cheeky blogging award for making me laugh so often

http://fishwithoutbicycle.blogspot.com/2007/09/sharing-love.html

Fish x

Agnes Mildew said...

Sounds a good, fun day. Dancing is always an excellent way to embarrass accompanying children. Singing, too. Combine it and you have the ultimate insult to people under the age of 18.

It's just payback time for those moments you have taken them somewhere and they have loudly revealed all your bathroom secrets to anybody in earshot - in my case, Beth's nursery teachers.

alcoment said...

Fish - thank you so much for the award, you made me blush!

As for doing my burlesque routine to Old MacDonald, well, I think it's a serious consideration. It's probably a completely untapped market and could be a whole new career for me!

Agnes - Ah, singing. See, I didn't even think of that, I obviously still have a lot to learn!