CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday 28 August 2007

Where everybody knows your name...

Or at least knows what you buy!

It appears that my life is now based on Cheers.

Either that or I am much more of a creature of habit than I thought I was.

I have a terrible Starbucks addiction and go in for my vat of coffee everyday. Recently, there have been the same couple of women on shift when I go in in the morning. I walked in today, still half asleep and on automatic pilot.

I was greeted with “Good morning! Grande, skinny latte as usual, love?” I stood there for a few seconds, initially feeling slightly assaulted by such cheeriness at that time of the morning and also somewhat amazed that she knew what my order was. Having received my coffee, I trundled off to pick up some cigarettes.

I arrived at the kiosk where I end up most mornings. The bloke who normally serves me was there and asked “Do you need all of it, or just some of it today?” (I roll my own, so can have quite a list some mornings). I confirmed that I needed all of it, plus some chewing gum (one of my many other addictions) and a lighter. He commented that I seem to go through a lot of lighters and then waved me on my way.

By this stage, I was beginning to feel I was being monitored by some form of caffeine and nicotine police force.

I probably wouldn’t have thought any more about it if I hadn’t had gone up to the local shop on my lunch break to pick up a sandwich.

As I wandered in, the shopkeeper informed me that they had “those sandwiches that you like”, but had “sold out of your newspaper”.

I live in a relatively small city, but this was ridiculous. I’m all for knowing lots of people, but I’m not great with routine. I didn’t realise how many small bits of my life I repeated day after day.

It’s time to shake things up a bit.

I may go into Starbucks tomorrow and order an espresso!

5 comments:

Rosie said...

I'm sort of comforted when places like Starbucks know my order before I place it. It never lasts because there is eventually someone new who may or may not learn your likes and dislikes. But I do have to say I don't think I've every gont to a place where they knew what sandwich I liked. That gave me a chuckle.

fishwithoutbicycle said...

That's cute, I love it when I am known in NYC...I am on first name terms with my local grande skim latte provider and at the healthfood cafe where I buy my breakfast they save me a apple bran yogurt muffin if they are running out. There is also a bar downtown where I am greeted like an old friend by one of the owners. My Brooklyn born friend, Melissa, is very jealous, she said to me, "That's it! You've made it in New York! You're a regular!!" ha ha

E-Babe said...

NORM! Small towns can be both a curse and a blessing. An espresso tomorrow is just what you need.

Heather said...

YOU are a rebel.

switching things up like that...

way to throw everyone off!!!

:)

alcoment said...

rosie - It's true they have a lot of new staff, a new guy started today. I have to say that he's pretty cute though, so he can remember my order as much as he likes!

Agnes - I can see that would be handy! Maybe I should talk to Starbucks/cigarette man/local shop about starting a loyalty scheme for me?

F - Ooo, from what I've heard, becoming a regular in New York is a hard thing to achieve - congrats! I'm much more comfortable with being known in a bar, it's just the way my mind works...

e-babe - thanks for stopping by! Yes, a small town can be a blessing and a curse. It can be very useful, but keeping secrets is a nightmare.

wishful - I do like to try and keep everyone on their toes. Minor rebellion is the way to go, it confuses people more than the big stuff ;)