CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday 21 August 2007

Who's meant to be the grown up?

A while ago I went to the cinema with Mini Adult, only to find we had apparently had our own Freaky Friday moment.

We had decided to go off and have a girlie day. Part of the trip was to go and see Charlottes Web. Before it started, we dutifully chose our sweets (pick n mix – always exciting!) which turned out to be quite a complicated process with lots of debate about the merits of each sweet.

I had started to eat mine whilst we were waiting for the film to start (what can I say, I had jazzies in there!) when all of a sudden I was aware of Mini Adult looking at me in disbelief. “If you eat them all now, you won’t have any left for the film” she informed me.

I couldn’t believe it, I was meant to be the adult and the one saying things like that. I really didn’t know how to respond and before I knew it, I had apologised and was sitting there feeling a five year old, just been told off my mum! I’m sure that’s the wrong way round!

It wasn’t the only incident of role reversal that day. I had been a bit worried about Mini Adult seeing Charlottes Web and had prepared myself for a crying person and having the whole life and death conversation. That also didn’t work out – I was the one sat there crying my eyes out. Mini Adult wasn’t fazed in the slightest; as she said to me afterwards, whilst patting my hand, “It’s only a story, she didn’t really die”…

5 comments:

Heather said...

you're braver than i am. i wouldn't even go see that movie - or any other movie that involves an animal (or insect) dying or being hurt.

my nephew really really wanted to see it.

i kept saying:

"wouldn't you rather see blood and guts? WAY cooler!"

i'm very happy your niece is there to look after you :)

Agnes Mildew said...

When role reversal like this occurs, Alcoment, you should exploit it to the fullest, and demand that she pays for your entrance, and the sweeties!

Next time you go to the flicks with her, munchies are on her! I'll come, too!

alcoment said...

wishful - I was also glad she was there to look after me, I'm not sure how I'd have coped if she hadn't been there!

agnes - I like your thinking. I shall definately put this plan into action next time we go!

Anonymous said...

I can so relate to this, as I live with a mini adult. She is constantly telling me, "Momma, that is not a big deal!"

It is usually said after she has attempted to injure me with a hammer or other heavy object over my head. She will hit me, I scream, she says, "it is not a big deal... do it again!"

How I long for a day at the movies!

alcoment said...

Witty - A day at the movies sounds better than being attacked by a hammer, but given that Mini Adult's are odd creatures, you can never tell what they will do where!