CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday 19 September 2007

Public dancing solution!

Some of you are aware that my sense of rhythm is sorely lacking. I have made some progress recently thanks to dancing in Best Friend’s kitchen and embarrassing small children, but there is still vast room for improvement (though I did manage a Burlesque-like shimmy type thing the other day!).

I will not dance in public, unless I am under the influence of a serious amount of alcohol, and even then it’s pushing it. But I think I may have found a solution!

I have recently heard about these things called Headphone disco's. It seems that when you enter the venue, you are immediately issued with wireless headphones. Two different DJ’s play at the same time and you can choose which one you listen to. There is no music pumped into the club, it only comes through the headphones. So if you take them off, all you will see are people dancing to…nothing.

I guess it looks a little odd at first, a bit like a Mime’s disco, but imagine the potential. No one would be able to tell if you were a bad dancer as they would just think you were dancing to different music to them. However, I guess it could also make a good dancer look bad, but I don’t really care about that!

I need to find somewhere where they are using these. Not only could I dance in public without embarrassing myself or anyone who knows me, I would willingly pay good money to see those that think they can dance look as silly as me!

6 comments:

Rosie said...

It must be pretty entertaining to go into a club with no music playing and see all these heads w/earphones bobbing up and down and dancing. I'd pay to see that myself.

Heather said...

I am cracking up just thinking about walking into a club that has no overhead music - only people rocking out to their headphone music.

Although, you have a good point....such a device could absolutely help those of us less gifted in the shimmy and shake dept....

fishwithoutbicycle said...

If you can shimmy you are doing very well. I took dance classes as a child, from the age of 4 to 15, and as an adult I've salsa danced for 2 and a bit years and I still have trouble with shimmying. You've got it going on girlfriend ;-)

Agnes Mildew said...

These headphones sound quite surreal, actually...I think I'd prefer to have the traditional club night, whether my dancing is crap or not, for the simple reason that when you are shouting across a crowded dance floor it's a good excuse to get up close to a nice-looking bloke and instead of talking to him, attempt to snog him - hasn't actually worked for me yet, but I am ever the eternal optimist.

Flowers said...

I heard about that! It sounds incredible! It could (could) be one of the funniest things you ever see also. Imagine the scene: One person rocking, one person acid jazz gliding. Inspired!!!!

alcoment said...

Rosie - I think a lot of people would pay to see it! I'm determined to find somewhere that's using them.

Wishful - See, they have two uses - entertainment and letting us all dance safely in public!

Fish - Thank you! I think I am making some progress. I can also do quite a good line in 'jazz hands' now, though would be very reluctant to do them in public!

Agnes - I agree that a traditional club has it's advantages for getting close, but it may still work in this situation. Maybe we could have a fault with the headphones, that requires the typical male to come over all macho and technical and convince themselves that only they can fix them!

Flowers on a Friday - Thanks for stopping by. The possibilities for entertainment are huge with this. Maybe we should organise a mass blogger outing to go and have a look!