CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday 21 September 2007

Avoid eye contact

I have spent a lot of this week on a train, travelling to and from London (hence the lack of blogs). As much as I like travelling by train, it never fails to amaze me the lengths people go to so they don’t have to share their seat with anyone.

Over the years, I have noticed there is an unwritten code of practise for train travel. I don’t agree with it, but it’s there. It basically boils down to the fundamental rule of; unless there is some form of emergency, you must NOT acknowledge your fellow passengers. This can be quite a complicated process and everyone seems to have their own tactics, but there appears to be common techniques used by the majority.

You sit on the seat next to the window, with your bag on the aisle seat, then, either look like you’re reading, put your i-pod on or talk into your mobile. Or all three at once. It doesn’t matter if you are actually doing any of these things, as long as it looks like you are, then you may fool the people that get on at the station after you. One of the most important parts of this process seems to be that you must not make eye contact with people trying to get a seat. If you do, then the good old British sense of duty may kick in and you will end up moving your bag and having to actually sit next to someone for the duration of your journey.

If you find yourself on a commuter train, you will have no choice but to sit next to someone. You will find yourself squashed up against a random person, whilst you all desperately try to avoid the reality that someone you don’t know is about to sit on your lap. However, the tubes are worse in rush hour. There, you are very likely to find yourself in the position of having your nose in someone’s armpit whilst someone else uses your back as a convenient place to lean.

One of the most popular ways to deal with this seems to be to go to sleep. And snore. And dribble. On your neighbour’s shoulder preferably. Then, when you reach your station, you must suddenly leap up and trip over your fellow passenger’s feet as you try and get off the train before the doors close.

Your other alternatives to try and convince yourself you are in fact the only person on the train (or at least irritate the others enough so they might move) are; chat on your mobile, telling whoever’s on the other end that you are on the train (Really? Bloody hell, my mistake, I thought we were on some kind of magic carpet!). Put your bag on the overhead rack and then stand up every five minutes to get something out of it. If you can drop something on your fellow passenger’s head whilst doing this, then that is a bonus. When you have to sit in one of the blocks of seats that face each other, ensure that you place your legs in a way so that no one else can put their legs in a natural position. This way, when you stand up, you will be the only person not to fall over due to the complete lack of blood flow to the lower limbs for the last hour.

Trains are supposed to be a convenient way to travel around the country. Sure, as long as there’s not the wrong type of leaf/snow/rain/cow on the line, then they can be great. However, it involves such a complicated set of rules, that I feel that everyone should be made to take a test before travelling to avoid mistakes!

6 comments:

Agnes Mildew said...

I must be one of those people others hate to see on a train as I will attempt to strike up conversation with any old tramp, loony or alcoholic, just to pass the time of day. I have a low boredom threshold, obviously, and chat to people to keep myself amused. I didn't know about the unwritten code and will adhere to it in the future!

Rosie said...

I'd be slapping a book in front of my face and not looking up from it no matter what.

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Someone once farted in my face when I was on the train for the 7minute trip from Ealing to Paddington. I had a seat in the aisle and this guy was standing so his arse and my face were level. He was middle aged, quite well dressed in a suit and he just farted. No apology or nothing. I think he was quite proud of it.

alcoment said...

Agnes - Don't worry, if people don't want to talk to you they will fall asleep and dribble on your shoulder!

Rosie - Yep, that's my usual course of action - it works to a degree!

Fish - Yuck! Sounds like he was proud of it! 7 minutes of fart stink - not good.

Heather said...

This cracked me up. I'm not really guilty about not wanting people to sit next to me, but I will admit to doing the following on an airplane:

if i'm seated first, i'll watch everyone come down the aisle and pray: "please not you, please not you."

i'm way guilty of that. but i love animals. so that makes me an okay person, right?

:)

alcoment said...

Wishful - As long as you love animals, then you are a good person. I am also guilty of trying to cherry pick who sits next to me if necessary!