CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday 27 September 2007

Blogging Against Abuse - Rape, it can happen to anyone.

Today is the day that (hopefully) hundreds of bloggers will unite to blog against abuse. This is my post for Blogcatalog’s Blogging Against Abuse campaign.

It’s taken me a long time to decide what to write about, but in the end I decided to talk about something that has affected me personally. I decided to write about rape.

Rape has nothing to do with sex but is all about power.

When many people think about rape, they think about a woman (or man) being attacked by a stranger. However, the majority of women are raped by someone they know, whether that is a family member, friend or partner.

When I was 17 I was raped by an ex-boyfriend. Though we had split up, we still occasionally slept together; we just didn’t work in a relationship. On the night in question, he decided that ‘No’ didn’t apply to him and that he had the right to do what he wanted anyway. He couldn’t believe that I meant it when I said no or that he was doing anything wrong by continuing.

I never reported it to the police and it took me several months to even tell a friend. I didn’t feel that I would be believed. The lifestyle I led at the time would have been held against me. Unfortunately, many women do not report they have been raped and, for those that have the courage to do so, there is no guarantee that it will even reach court. In fact, research has shown that women are more likely to report domestic violence than they are rape. For many women, the fear of not being believed, or the fear of being judged, stops them. We’ve all heard the comments of “She was asking for it, look at what she was wearing” or “She accepted drinks from him, what did she expect?”.

Over time, I began to tell a few friends. I was lucky; the majority were very supportive and believed me immediately. Only two people said it was my fault, one said that I had no right to call it rape as I had been sleeping with him anyway, and the other said I had no right to deny him sex as it was ‘expected’. Bullshit. I was also lucky that only one person didn’t believe me at all, saying that I was trying to get back at him for breaking up the relationship. Though her perception was not right, I can sort of understand why she needed to view it like that. My rapist was her brother’s best friend, he was in her house a lot and I think she was scared.

I’m not saying that I knew it was not my fault straight away. I spent months feeling that it was my fault; that I should never have put myself in that situation or that I should have never said no in the first place. At first, I didn’t even know that it was still classed as rape if it was done by someone you knew. It was only through talking to friends, reading and, eventually, getting into counselling, that I saw it for what it was. All I knew at the beginning was that I hadn’t wanted it to happen.

Rape is always rape. If one party has said no, then it is not consensual. That is rape. It does not matter what relationship you have with someone, if they force themselves on you that is wrong. I have a friend who was systematically raped by her husband for many years. She eventually worked up the courage to leave him, though still does not feel able to go to the police. Mainly, because he was her husband and she does not feel that people will consider it to be rape. It was.

I have not written this as a ‘poor me’ exercise. I am trying to show that anyone can be raped, by anyone. Rape is what it is and it is never right or the victim’s fault.

If you have been raped and need some support or information, there are lots of places out there that can help. Just speak to someone, if you can’t talk to a friend then try one of the help lines below.

Rape Crisis
Rapeline

10 comments:

Agnes Mildew said...

Oh love, you poor sod. How brave of you to write this post. None of it can be read as a 'poor pity me' exercise - you are matter-of-fact, you are painfully honest, and you are not self-pitying at all - and more than that, you are offering support, advice and constructive approaches to anyone else who has been in the same situation.

There are many more women that you can ever believe have been raped or molested. One man tried to rape me once, and two other men molested me. All were terrifying experiences, and none were reported - particularly as the latter two happened when I lived in Oman and I would have been treated to a most humiliating pidgin English investigation by the incompetent police force there.

Many of us push it to the back of our heads and get on with it. Others unfortunately sink under, and who can blame them.

It is disgusting that ANY of your friends saw fit to blame you for it. As you say, without consent, sex becomes rape.

I am so proud of you for writing this post in such an honest way - I don't know if it affected you in any way to do so, but believe you me, you have been exceptionally brave and fantastic - well done, you! xxx Alison (AKA Agnes)

alcoment said...

Thank you so much. I'm sorry you had those experiences too. And I think this is the thing, so many people believe it won't happen to them, or to people they know, I try to be open about what happened to show that it can happen to ANYONE.

It did effect me to write about this, but mainly in a good way. It reminded me about how far I've come since then.

Thank you for your kind words and support, they mean a lot.

Sian (Alcoment)

xx

Momgen said...

I am sorry to hear that. You know i have a friend told me the story about how she raped by her uncle. Its so sad. Those people like that must be stop and punish.

Rosie said...

Sadly, I don't have any problem believing you had friends that doubted what you said. It's so much easier for people to stick their heads in the sand. My Dad for instance doesn't really believe there's such a thing as rape.

I have two boys and we've had several conversations about "No" means "N0!" and "Stop" means "STOP! NOW!"

I have a sister who was also date raped. The guy just didn't believe she meant "no" when they'd had already been intimate. She was devastated. Worse, my parents blamed her for putting herself in that situation. She's bitter about that to this day.

Things like BLOGGING AGAINST ABUSE like you are participating in today shine a light on a subject people don't like to think about much less talk about.

Kudos to you.

Heather said...

wow. what a touching, brave, post this was.

i agree with agnes - NOTHING about this post reads as a 'pity me' entry.

just the opposite. it's because of the strenght of people who've been through this - and are willing to talk about it - that others find that same courage.

you are something special. I hate that you, and the wonderful agnes, experienced this pain. What incredible women you both are despite the scum who crossed very clear boundaries.

Thank you again for being so open and honest.

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Hi Alcoment, (oooh Sian - lovely name) I second Agnes, it was exceptionally brave of you to write this post. I'm incredibly proud of you too.

Agnes I'm sorry to hear what you went through in Oman. I cannot imagine having to deal with that situation.

You are both amazing, inspirational women.

Big hugs

Fish xx

Anonymous said...

It took a lot of courage for you to make this post. And clearly you have clarity now that you were in no way to blame for what happened to you. You have overcome. You are a strong and brave woman.

alcoment said...

Genny - Thanks for stopping by. Sadly, it's much more common than many people like to think. I'm sure that everyone knows someone who has been abused, whether they are aware of their friend's past or not.

Rosie - Thank you. It's sad, but you're right. Many people don't like to think about this kind of thing and prefer to stick their heads in the sand, or deny that it happens. Fair play to you for talking to your sons, I think it's a really important thing for parents to do. I'm sorry to hear about your sister, many people don't believe that date rape even exists.

Wishful - Thank you for your support. For me, one of the most important things is to be honest about it. Hiding it doesn't help.

Fish - Thank you. It means a lot to have had all these positive responses. I was a bit scared when I posted!

Karen - Thank you. Yep, it took a while, but I now know where the blame lies. He no longer has the power over me that he did have.




To everyone who has commented on this post. I just wanted to say thank you again. Your kind words and support have meant a lot to me. I was nervous when I posted this, but I'm glad I did.

Group hug anyone?! ;)

Anonymous said...

Alcoment,

You are someone's hero today. Someone, somewhere may have read this and now understands she is not the only one.

Thank you for posting this and educating people, who may have not known some aspect of rape when it involves someone the victim knows.

You are have a brave heart and a shining inner light.

alcoment said...

Witty - Thank you. I hope it has shown someone that they are not alone and if it also shows people that there is such a thing as acquaintence rape, then that can only be a good thing.