CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday 23 September 2007

Take one chef, add a dash of TV...

There are so many cookery shows on TV. Ready, Steady Cook, Saturday Kitchen, Master Chef, you can’t seem to change channels without coming across one.

As much as I don’t cook (unless you can call heating things in the microwave cooking), I have occasionally watched these shows and I’ve noticed a couple of things that irritate me.

Firstly, one of the themes that seems to come up a lot is the ‘let’s use your store cupboard basics’. I never have these things in my cupboard. In fact, I only know two people who have things such as risotto rice, garlic salt and different types of mushrooms in there. Now, if they could show me what to do with a tin of beans, some instant coffee and a bit of slightly mouldy cheddar then they may be on to something!

And the chefs never wash their hands! All they seem to do is give them a quick rinse under the tap and then carry on. So what are they saying? Is E-coli a new type of seasoning now?

Oh, and I want to know where to get one of those magic ovens. For those that like to cook, imagine how much time could be saved. These are very special ovens where you can put raw food in, open it again two minutes later and, hey presto, your food is ready and piping hot!

Then we come to the final act of tasting the delights that TV Chef has just produced. Apparently, TV Chefs never make anything that doesn’t taste divine, delicious or like little angels waltzing across your tongue (Yes I did make that last bit up, but I wouldn’t be surprised to hear it one day!). I would love to hear someone say it tasted bloody awful, rather than practically have an orgasm over a plate of pasta with a side of listeria.

Unfortunately, all that generally happens when I watch these programmes is that I sit there wishing my pizza would be delivered faster…

11 comments:

Rosie said...

I cook...mostly the basics, but well enough to keep the three men in my life happy. I have two sisters who lurve passionately cooking shows and are always whipping something up. They like that sh!t. Can you believe it? I click by as quickly as I can. :)

Anonymous said...

Bonjour, Ca va? Voulez vous donnez moi un chocolat chaud? How do I do stuff on here? I'm confused -need lesson asap.

Beware
SNN is arriving!!

alcoment said...

Rosie - I have a couple of friends who love to cook and say they find it theraputic! I don't really understand it myself.

Anonymous - If you want a hot chocolate, get it yourself, you know where the kitchen is! Lesson on it's way!



Just to make it clear, anonymous is Student Nutty Nurse. Once he's had his lesson, I imagine he'll grace us with his presence!

Agnes Mildew said...

Oh, you echo my sentiments exactly! I don't think I would like to eat any Celebrity Chef's concoctions, no matter how fantastic they look - when they are continually poking their fingers into the grub, licking and sticking again, I feel like throwing up. God only knows where their fingers were before the cameras rolled!!

alcoment said...

Agnes - I know, there's no way I'd eat anything they'd cooked. I wonder if anyone's ever got ill from tasting the star's food!

Heather said...

Amen sister.

If it can't be fixed in the microwave (and in under 3 minutes), I'm not interested.

But if I was, I'd want one of those little elves that cut up all the food for the chefs.

alcoment said...

Wishful - Ah, see, I'm also under the impression that there are elves to do all the cutting up. Who else would want that job?

Dale said...

I can't cook but I did recently see BBC's Masterchef and enjoyed it. Now I want to see the winner's show and see what she's cooked up. Okay, that was lame.

alcoment said...

Dale - Thanks for stopping by. I've seen Masterchef a couple of times and they seem to take themselves very seriously, but I guess they would as they seem to be very passionate about cooking!

Anonymous said...

I love Chef Ramsey. He isn't nice when it tastes like crap on a cracker.

Love your blog and your random insights to everything!

alcoment said...

Witty - I do have some respect or Ramsey, at least you know where you are with him. And thank you for the compliment, I know my posts are quite random at times, but that's how my head works!