CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday 12 September 2007

The eternal argument

My parents are locked in a long running battle.

It’s been going on for years and I’m not sure if it will ever be resolved as neither are willing to compromise.

Dad wants a cardigan and Mum won’t let him have one.

My Dad is in his sixties and has been creeping comfortably into ‘old man’ clothing for several years. He has a love of corded trousers, lambs wool jumpers and loafers, though, slightly at odds with the rest of his style, he’s recently bought a very cool pair of Red or Dead glasses!

He has wanted a cardigan for years and has even tried to get Mum to knit him one. I’m not sure why, but he has a longing for a cream cable knit cardie. When he talks about it, he comes over all misty eyed and there is a definite hint of longing to his tone.

Mum point blank refuses to let him have one. When Dad asked her to knit one, she laughed hysterically for several minutes and then hid her knitting needles for several years! On the rare occasions they enter Marks and Spencer’s together, she always looks like she’s about to rugby tackle Dad if he so much as looks towards the men’s knitwear section!

I get the odd call from one or the other of them, specifically about the cardigan issue. Both ask me to talk to the other one and get them to change their mind. Over the years I have been through many options, trying to find a happy medium, but neither are interested.

I’m not sure why Mum’s so against him having one. I know it shouts out ‘old man’, but Dad really wants one. I read in one of the glossy magazines that knitwear’s really ‘in’ for blokes this season, including cardigans, so maybe I could send a copy to Mum and see what she thinks!

8 comments:

fishwithoutbicycle said...

What if he promised only to wear it indoors? Would that be enough of a compromise.

alcoment said...

Hey Fish. Thanks for the suggestion but I tried that one - no joy! I also suggested waistcoats, a blindfold for Mum and Dad only wearing it on specific days. None of these were acceptable for one or the other.

I don't have a problem with him having a cardigan. It's his pastel golf jumper I have an issue with!!

Anonymous said...

I dunno, I personally think adults should be able to wear anything they have the moxie to wear.

But I suppose she does have to be seen in public with him.

It could be worse... my parents just flat out hate each other. I wish sometimes they'd just get a divorce so *I* wouldn't have to hear about it anymore. LOL. After 47 years together, you'd think they'd paid their dues. Of course, I suppose we never have to quit hearing about the *stuff* of people we care about.

Heather said...

how i wish my mom could have saved my father from 'painters jeans.' if he actually worked construction and needed the loops to hold a hammer, they'd make sense.

but he doesn't.

i'm convinced he wears them only to humiliate me.

it's how he rolls.

Agnes Mildew said...

I'm with your Mum on Aran cardies for men - especially if they have leather patches on the sleeves and those 'hot cross bun' buttons, but, if your father wants to enter old age rapidly, it is surely his life?

Perhaps if you were to reason with your mother that she could knit him an Aran hoodie. Youthful imagery with the practicality of a cardie.

alcoment said...

Jayne - It seems to be in the job description to listen to the issues of people we care about! Maybe we should all start invoicing each other?!

Wishful - Maybe we should introduce our Dads to each other? They could bond over clothing to embarrass families!

Agnes - Dad hasn't mentioned anything about leather elbow patches...yet! I will suggest an aran hoodie to both of them, there may be a compromise in there somewhere!

paisley said...

poor dad... i so wish i could slip gently into old age,, and he wants to and mum wont let him... poor dear... buy him one... let him wear it on the sly and see how good it feels!!!!

alcoment said...

Paisley - Thanks for stopping by! I'm quite tempted to - a secret cardigan for Dad, could be fun!