CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday 7 September 2007

PG or Cert 18?

There are times when Best Friend and I wonder how we became friends and how we sustain a friendship. In some ways we are very similar and both like to be naughty, but our lifestyles can be very different. I have no responsibility and can do what I like, when I like, whereas Best Friend obviously has The Cool Kid and Bloke to take into consideration. This sometimes means I can witness two sides of her in the space of a few hours.

Take last night for example. I ended up going over there after work. The Cool Kid had got in from school and it was teatime. As I walked in, a plate of spag bol was put in front of me, so I settled down and joined in the conversation. I learnt all about The Cool Kid’s new school, friends and teacher and listened to reminders about P.E kits and dinner money. As much as I see the ‘Mum’ side of Best Friend on a regular basis I’m always slightly amazed each and every time – it’s like seeing the PG version, rather than the Cert 18. I even get told off when she’s in mum mode, though, to be fair, I was mucking about with The Cool Kid when we should have been eating our tea!

As it was a school night, Best Friend had sandwiches to make, but had run out of what she needed so I was duly sent off to the shops, whilst The Cool Kid had her bedtime story. I had been given a list and also picked up some things for myself. This is one of the signs of how different our lifestyles and priorities are. The list I had been given instructed me to get things like bread, milk and ham. My basket consisted of alcohol and cake!

This is one of the major differences between us. Best Friend always has a well stocked kitchen and cooks very well. I have no interest in cooking and often just have things like 3 minute noodles in. Most of my friends know that if you want a cup of tea at mine, you need to bring your own milk! I can, however, always provide a decent supply of alcohol, chocolate and take away menus – which covers all bases as far as I’m concerned…

9 comments:

Agnes Mildew said...

I shall most definitely pop round to your house for a beverage, then! And make the cake chocolate or coffee with loads of sickly butter icing filling. Alternatively, a blackcurrant cheesecake will do - who needs tea? Nasty, horrible stuff!

fishwithoutbicycle said...

"I have no interest in cooking and often just have things like 3 minute noodles"

You sound like a woman made for the Manhattan lifestyle. You don't need to cook here, all the restaurants deliver. It's fab!! I rarely meet anyone who has anything beyond milk in their fridge and a bottle of Grey Goose chilling in the freezer :-)

alcoment said...

Agnes - Tea is nasty, I don't understand why anyone drinks it! I'm a coffee girl and quite like t black, so lack of milk really doesn't bother me. Your cake requests have been noted - I will endevour to meet them!

F - So I need to move to New York? That certainly sounds more like the lifestyle I need. I shall investigate!

Agnes Mildew said...

You are a girl after my own heart. I am currently on my fourth cup of black coffee (I cannot get through the day without at least ten of these things!).

I have been emotionally scarred for life with milk in drinks since my mother, upon my emergence from my bed, would force me to have a cup of hot, sweet milky coffee, poured into a saucer, and called it my 'Poo poo pusher'...oh the shame...why am I telling you this?

alcoment said...

Is there anything else in your coffee this morning? I can see why that would put you off milk in anything.

This made me laugh so much, just what I need when I'm about to go in to work with a raging hangover. Anyway, I'm off to go and get a vat of coffee from Starbucks!

Heather said...

interesting. us sutherners drink our tea cold with a pound of sugar and i'm quite fond of it. it'll explain the teeth rot in a few years....

I have had the same experience, watching my friends morph from crazy girl to coiffed mom. I'll be watching my friend E scold her kids for talking back and think to myself, "now, wait just one second! Aren't you the same person who, at the age of 18, told your own father that if you wanted to drive to Alabama to fuck some boy, you would?!"

just seems a bit hypocritical...I'm just saying...

alcoment said...

It's a bit odd. I'm the only one in my group of friends that doesn't have a kid and/or long term partner. It always makes me smile when I see them being all responsible and grown up, knowing what they got up to the night before!

Anonymous said...

LOL, as a Mom, I can see your friends being the grown ups and the party gals when alone. I have a standing "gals night out" with my friend Crystal. I cuss like a sailor, drink like a fish and flirt with the waitress right along with her. Then, as soon as I am on the train home, I stow it all away to be the "Mum," who has only clean words and drinks rice milk and never flirts.

Dual lives can be hell for at least 18 years.

Great post.

alcoment said...

Thanks Witty.

One thing I don't understand is how she manages to keep them seperate. She'll sometimes be 'Mum' to me, but never the other way round. I'm really quite impressed. If it was me I'd be wiping my friends noses and giving my kid a pint!