CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday 17 September 2007

It's not a secret anymore!

So how many people know you blog? And what’s been their reaction when they’ve found out?

When I started blogging, I never intended telling anyone what I was doing. But it didn’t quite work out like that. It started off with just a couple of close friends knowing and spread from there.

Generally the thing I hear most is “Blogging? What’s that?” and when I try to explain, it turns into a glazed look and “Oh, you’re writing your diary”. Umm, no. But I’ve more or less given up trying to explain and am considering having a series of cards printed so I can just hand them out and save my breath!

One friend, who had a vague idea of what blogging was, informed me that she had always felt that blogs were only “ego trips for inconsistent thinkers”. She now reads my blog, but has yet to tell me whether her opinion has changed!

Another common reaction from people who have at least heard about blogs, is the question “Am I in it?” How do you answer that? If you say yes, then there is a Spanish inquisition about what you’ve written. If you say no, then you’re suddenly faced with a hurt expression and the unspoken question of “Don’t you think I’m interesting enough?”

The other reaction I’ve had was the beautiful back-handed compliment of “I was really surprised at the quality of the writing”. Thanks. I think. But we sorted that one out and I now know what he meant!

And that’s the other thing. When I’m out with friends that know I blog, I’m always being asked “You’re going to blog about this, aren’t you?” The short answer is yes. If it makes me laugh or annoys me, then it’s likely to end up here at some point. Very little is sacred.

So what started out as my own little secret is becoming common knowledge. Yes, there are people that I would still prefer not to know about it, as I don’t think their reaction would be a favourable one. But the internet is a small place and people are renowned for not being able to keep quiet. There are people that won’t be overly happy about some of the things I’ve written about, especially about the names I have given them and I know I will have to deal with that at some point. My plan when that happens is just to brazen it out and ask if they’re offended because they recognise some truth in what I’ve said!

9 comments:

Phil said...

I started writing my blog just for me and then some how everyone of my friends knows about it now. Its weird how that happens.

Anonymous said...

I get around that by telling everyone that I know IRL that my blog is full of lies, half-truths, and exagerations simply to make it more entertaining. That way they never believe anything they read, and if they see themselves mirrored in a post, I can always say "Well of COURSE that isn't how it really was, but my version is more INTERESTING... gotta think of the readers."

People stress less if you tell them up front you're lying. Of course, I might NOT be lying, but they don't need to know that.

fishwithoutbicycle said...

:-) I hear you. Most of my close friends know about my blog and most of them are in it. I don't tell people beyond close friends though and especially not work colleagues since I want the freedom to bitch about the office should the whim strike me without the risk of getting sued by a litigious American ;-)

Rosie said...

I didn't want my family to find out I was blogging because while they knew I read romance novels I didn't particularly want to dodge questions about reading erotic romance. I also didn't want to feel like I had to censor myself and what I wrote about. Eventually they all heard about it or looked at it.

Long story short...I quit worrying about who was reading it and wrote for myself. Most of my family has lost interest and rarely ask or acknowledge that I have a blog -- if they even remember it exists.

It's pretty much the same story with friends. The silver lining with blogging is that over time you meet and interact with a whole different sort of friends from all over the globe. It's pretty cool.

Agnes Mildew said...

I haven't told anyone about my blog apart from one friend. She visited twice, I think, and then faded away.

Not telling anyone allows me to be as nasty as I want - the ex husband found out about it a few weeks ago and, I believe, had his nose pushed out of joint, moaning that *he* was the 'ex' - I told him not think he was so important to me that I would spend so much time banging on about him! No doubt he has gone through the site by now and realised he is hardly ever mentioned - the bloody bighead!

alcoment said...

Spud - Thanks for stopping by. Blogs seem to have a life of their own, don't they!?!

Jayne - That's a plan! I may keep that one in reserve and then if it all goes badly wrong, I'll put it down to poetic licence!

Fish - Ha, ha. I'm quite restrained when it comes to blogging about people I work with, though they are there. The stories may make good blogs, but I'm not sure the hassle would be worth it!

Rosie - Maybe that will happen to me?! Though I'm more than happy that some people are reading, there are those that I wouldn't be bothered if they drifted away! You're right about making new friends - I've already met some great people!

Agnes - Ah, another example that people will always think they should be in your blog and can't believe your audacity if you don't put them in!

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Another cheeky wee award (http://fishwithoutbicycle.blogspot.com/2007/09/belated-heaps-of-thanks.html). Love ya. Fish xx

Heather said...

Jayne totally stole my comment! I actually use the "i might have embellished a LITTLE bit" line all the time.

I can hardly get anyone to go anywhere with me anymore. They are all terrified they'll end up in my bog - because they know I show no mercy.

To tell the truth, I'm amazed April hasn't left me yet for a girl who can prove she doesn't have a computer.

I once had a friend tell me she felt uncomfortable reading my blogs because it was "too personal" and she didn't appreciate feeling like a voyeur. I rather snarkily responded that if I considered it really 'personal,' I wouldn't put it out there for all the world to see. So she could rest assured I wasn't exposing my inner most self to her or anyone else (I charge people $49.95 a month on my other site for that).

jeez.

alcoment said...

F - thank you so much! I'm blushing again...

Wishful - Ha ha, I've had the "too personal" thing a couple of times. I've tried explaining that if I wouldn't talk about it down the pub, then it doesn't go on here, but I think sometimes people can't get past the 'diary' view!