CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday 1 October 2007

Is there a sign on my forehead?

Is there something about me?

Do I have some kind of sign on my forehead that I can’t see?

Why do I always attract the loony?

I can be anywhere and the random mad person will find me. It doesn’t matter where; on the bus, in the supermarket, in the doctor’s waiting room, it makes no difference; they will track me down and start talking.

Even when I’m walking to work I’m not safe. In the mornings there is a lady who walks through the city centre at the same time I do. On a regular basis she comes up, tells me a joke (it’s always something about dicks, socks and the cold – I’m sorry I can’t be clearer, but it just doesn’t make sense!) and then wanders off, apparently happy with our interaction.

When I am training for work I will attract the one person on the course desperate to talk about their ‘issues’ and they will spend the entire day trailing around after me and then want to walk back to the train station too. They have also been known to ask me if I want to go for a drink afterwards as I have “been so helpful and understanding”.

No, I don’t.

If we did that, then there is a distinct possibility that my responses will change from the professional ones ingrained into me, to the ones that are actually in my head. I’m really not convinced you want to be told that either; 1) you’re clearly insane or 2) need to stop acting like a moaning idiot and get off your arse and do something about it!

I know I work in mental health and should understand, but it’s no different from a doctor getting asked to diagnose people at parties or a taxi driver being a chauffeur for his kids. You just don’t want to do it. A lot of my friends also work in mental health and say the same thing. It appears that some people do have a sign saying ‘If you are mad/desperate/love to talk about yourself then feel free to come and talk non-stop to me for as long as you want’ stuck on their forehead.

The problem is, that unless I can actually avoid being engaged in conversation from the start, I don’t have it in me to stop them. I nod, smile and make appropriate noises when I’m really inventing elaborate escape plans or writing my shopping list in my head.

I can successfully manage to avoid the charity and survey clipboard people in the street, so maybe I need to employ the same tactics with the random mad people. In the meantime, maybe I should pay attention to what they say and see if there’s any blog fodder in there!

5 comments:

Heather said...

wellllll, you know...april always says that "like health attracts like health"....tee hee. I kid, I kid.

I actually have the same issue. It's amazing what complete strangers will spill before they even tell you their name.

Rosie said...

I worked with someone for years who used to say the same thing. Wherever she went grocery store, bank...strangers would start talking to her and tell her the most incredibly intimate things about their lives. Not much fun for her but always entertaining for us.

Lesbian Bandit said...

At least you are not dating the insane/mad people you randomly run into... sadly, I cannot say the same for myself.

If you find a cure for this condition, please think of passing it on to me, please?

fishwithoutbicycle said...

I think you had to use the same technique as you do with the market research people. Good luck. Fish x

alcoment said...

Wishful - Kidding or not, after I posted this I did sit there and think "But who's the one with the blog?"!! Maybe we should all start telling them to set one up! ;)

Emmy - Thanks for stopping by. There seems to be several of us with the same problem, maybe we need some form of support group, or we should get all the gut spillers together to talk to each other!

Rosie - Yep, I have to say that I often recount my new found information to my friends, they seem to find it amusing!

Lesbian Bandit - True, I'm not dating them which is a good thing as I run into some VERY odd people! And, of course, if I find a cure, I will let you know!

Fish - I think I need to. So, that will be me walking around looking like I bite people for fun then!