CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday 23 October 2007

Naked in the living room

I am the only one in my group of friends who lives alone. Everyone else lives with their partner and/or kids. And I have to say that I think I’ve got the better deal!

On a pretty much daily basis I am informed by my friends about the latest issue their partner or kid (in some cases they seem to be the same person!) has created. The top complaints seem to be mess, not sharing chores, preferring work or the pub to being at home and playing video games all day (this one is committed by a 40 year old bloke, not a kid!).

I’m also told on a regular basis that I am lucky that I can do what I want, when I want, without having to check in with anyone else.

And I am.

However, I also have to endure questions about when I’m going to settle down, have I found Mr Right, do I believe in soul mates and don’t I ever get lonely.

So, for the record, the answers are:

* I have no idea, it will happen when it happens.

* No. There is someone I like but it’s just not possible at the moment.

* No.

* Yes of course, but so does everybody!

For me, the benefits of being single and living alone far outweigh the disadvantages. I have no one else to answer to, can eat what I like, when I like, there’s no queue for the bathroom and no arguments about whether the toilet seat should be up or down. There are no remote control issues, moans about me being on the laptop for hours, or the fact that that’s the third time in a week I haven’t got in until 3am! I can walk around naked anytime I want (and frequently do!), I can read or watch TV in bed in the middle of the night and use all the hot water!

And no one can complain about it!

Yes, of course there are disadvantages. I can only blame mess on myself and have discovered there are no little fairies that come and clear up in the night, there’s no one else to do the washing or food shopping and I have to carry all the heavy stuff myself. But I’ve lived with friends, family and (more or less) with a partner before and also endure the daily complaints from friends; I know that these issues are there whether you live alone or not!

So, for the time being, I’m going to stand by my view that I have the better the deal. I will listen to my friend’s complaints, smile sweetly and go home to my sanctuary!

6 comments:

Heather said...

i enjoyed being single too (not that I would trade Apes in, no way!)...

but when I was single, I didn't have a drawer or baggie for EVERYTHING I own...and there were no hanger rules either...or dishwasher rules...or sock rules...

Rosie said...

Geez, when you put it that way it sounds like a slice of heaven! :-)

alcoment said...

Wishful - See, that's the thing. There are no rules at mine, apart from those that I try to put in place myself and those my landlady has. The problem is I have a tendency to ignore both!

Rosie - It can be! The only issue is when I start an arguement with myself over who's turn it is to do the washing up ;)

fishwithoutbicycle said...

I agree, I think you have the best deal. I sometimes think that the perfect relationship would be to live next door to the person your are dating ;-)

Emmy said...

I love the independence of singleness. It can be so free and exciting.

alcoment said...

Fish - See, I think that would be the best way forward too, the best of both worlds!

Emmy - It certainly can be!