CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday 9 October 2007

Leave the chocolate alone!

I see that the manufacturers have been at it again. They’ve been messing about with the chocolate.

I bought some Galaxy chocolate today, feeling in the need of a reward (which was a bit unnecessary as just by being awake I feel that I deserve some chocolate!). I noticed that on the wrapper was the announcement that they had improved the recipe and it had a new shape.

Oh, shit. I hate it when they do this.

Luckily, it’s ok this time. It tastes the same and they haven’t done too much. They’ve just changed the shape to a slightly wavy one. It’s quite pretty really.

But it got me thinking about how often the manufacturers see fit to go and mess about with the things we know and love, even if it’s just the name. There never seems to be a good reason to do this, I’m sure it’s just to confuse us and make us think that they’ve released a new product.

I mean, take Snickers. They always used to be called Marathon. Now, that name made sense. What sort of name is Snickers?! Marathon always implied that the chocolately, peanutty goodness would help you keep going. But Snickers? What does that mean?

And Starburst. They were always Opal Fruits (well, they still are in my head – just because they change the name, doesn’t mean that I have to agree with it!). Everything else is the same, they just changed the name. Is there a point to it that I’m missing?

The other thing that annoys me is when they just take products out of action. Does anyone remember the Peanut Butter Lions? They were great and saw me through many hangovers in college. Now they’ve disappeared and I can’t find them anywhere!

I don’t mind them adding new things though! Just stop messing about with the ones I like.

9 comments:

Heather said...

i had no idea Starburst and Snickers once had different names.

No idea.

And yer right about why they change things up on us.

Damn marketing people.

And I can say that. Because I am one.

I've been outta the blog world for a couple of days...glad to be back and I'm loving yourn new layout!

Rosie said...

As far as I know Snickers (milk chocolate, caramel & peanuts) have always been Snickers here in the U.S. and same with Star Burst. If they are buy Mars Candy I'm betting it's to save money so they only have to make one sort of packaging.

Agnes Mildew said...

Oh yes, Snickers is such a daft name and I have never understood that, either. And once they have dickied around with either the recipe or name, the bar suddenly becomes a fraction of its former size...Take a Topic for example (ooh, I love them!) they are now 'Fun Size' they are that tiny - and around 50p!!!! I think I might write a strong letter of complaint to Mars about this!
And I have a suspicion that the new Galaxy shape with hurt the roof of your mouth like Toblerones do - you will have to let me know about that!

Anonymous said...

Hear hear!

I hate it too when things are called one thing in one country and not in another. That happens with chocolate, cereals, even movies and books.

I'm not talking China, I'm talking US v. UK. Our English isn't THAT different!

Snickers... I always thought that meant they made you laugh in a snide way. Great marketing!

Stealth said...

If Lindt messed with their chocolate, I would have to end it all. That stuff is like taking a "life pill" to me. Ahhh - the bliss.

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Ooooh get you with your new look. I like it. I don't remember Peanut Butter Lions, but they sound delicious. I always liked Star Bars, they disappeared and then reappeared years later as Peanut Boost. Fish

alcoment said...

Wishful - Ah, so I have the answer from one of the horses mouths! Good to have you back, and thanks for the compliment, I like it too!

Rosie - See, it is now making sense! Snickers are definately by Mars, so I guess they are trying to make uniform products.

Agnes - Oooo, Topic's, I haven't had one of those in years, I will now have to go and buy one! Oh, and the Galaxy didn't hurt my mouth like a Toblerone, the top of the new Galaxy is flatter than one of the mountains!

Jayne - I'd never thought of Snickers like that. I quite like that!

Stealth - Ooo, posh chocolate! Lindt is VERY nice, and I like the look of the Bunny's they bring out at Easter.

Fish - Thank you! I've asked around my mates and I seem to be the only person who remembers Peanut butter Lions, I'm sure they aren't a figment of my imagination. I remember Star Bars though.

Emmy said...

I never knew there were names before snickers or star burst. I am use to these names, marathon and opal fruit sound weird to me. But I totally know what your talking about. why fix what ain't broken.

alcoment said...

Emmy - I guess Marathon and Opal Fruits would sound odd if you didn't know them before. It took me ages to get used to Snickers and I refuse to call Opal Fruits, Starburst!