CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday 7 October 2007

A lost art?

I was reading the back of my conditioner bottle in the shower this morning (it’s amazing what you do to amuse yourself whilst you’re waiting for a deep conditioning treatment to work!) and noticed what was written under the ‘Contact us’ bit.

The bottle encouraged people to “Give us a ring, send us an email, or why not go mad and pick up a pen – and combat the global disappearance of handwriting”.

It got me thinking, I rarely write letters anymore and I’m not sure I know anyone else who writes them either. Sure, I write quite a few at work, but they don’t really count, plus, they’re typed. In fact, I only write two personal letters a year, both at Christmas, to two family friends. But when I was younger, letters and notes were a common thing.

When I was kid, every Birthday and Christmas I would have to write ‘Thank you’ letters to anyone who had given me a present. As much as I knew I had to do them, I hated it. I mean, when you’re a kid, what else do you say when you’ve got as far as “Dear Great Aunt Mable. Thank you for my book token. I have put it towards a book.”? I would sit there for ages, trying to turn 20 words into a letter; I would often end up drawing a little picture, just to fill up space.

When I was a teenager, it was all about passing notes in school (when I was there, I played truant a lot!). The notes were far more important than whatever class we were in, but mainly consisted of “Jamie is soooo fit”, “Are you coming for a fag at break?” and “Lucy snogged Darren on Friday!”. Exciting stuff!

It just doesn’t cross my mind to write a letter. Now, if I want to contact someone and don’t want to phone, then I will send them an email. It’s quicker than writing, but I guess it’s kind of sad that no one writes letters anymore.

6 comments:

Rosie said...

I so identify with the "thank you" notes from childhood. Now I'm the one making my sons write theirs. I do still write notes in cards to friends when I want to be especially personal usually when something very good or very sad has happened in their lives. But an actual hand written letter? Not since I started typing.

Stealth said...

Love the new look!

Vanessa said...

I actually have taken up the lost art! I even bought stationary! I got some little note card type things. I'll send one out or go buy someone a card because how totally freakin' sweet is it to open your mailbox and find something handwritten! It's too fun.

alcoment said...

Rosie - I'm fairly certain that the majority of kids have to do this, as much as I hated it, it's a good thing!

Stealth - Thank you! I like it too.

Vanessa - Thanks for stopping by. Ah, so now I do know someone who still writes to people. And you got to go shopping too!

Emmy said...

I to have recently been thinking about this. not only letters but phone calls without mobiles....where would we be now if we didn't have mobiles and text?

alcoment said...

Emmy - I know, I'd be lost without my mobile. I know before we used to phone people at home, or if we were out we'd find a phonebox, but it's so much easier with a mobile. As much as they can be annoying, I think they're useful things. I do love my mobile!