CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday 13 October 2007

The musical air cooler

I think I’ve told you before that the basis of mine and Student Nutty Nurse’s friendship is arguing and playing practical jokes on each other.

Even though we have not worked together for several months now, he is still managing to play tricks on me at work.

The office where I work is in a converted garage. As you can imagine, it’s cramped and, in summer, it’s hot. We have an air cooler to help us not completely melt in summer, but obviously it’s not necessary in winter and it lives under one of the corner desks.

A couple of days ago, I was in the office with a client and a colleague, when all of a sudden we heard ‘Happy Birthday’ playing, swiftly followed by Highland music! After some investigation, we could only narrow it down to the air cooler.

By this stage, I was getting quite frustrated and decided that there was only one course of action. Watched by a very bemused client and an equally bemused colleague, I fetched a screwdriver and dismantled it. It would not shut up.

Sitting on the floor, surrounded by bits of the air cooler, I began to think I’d made a bit of a mistake. Especially when my colleague lent over, took the batteries out and silence reigned.

Ah.

I tried to figure out what had happened. Why had it been playing music? It had never happened before; I didn’t even know that it could.

There only seemed to be one possible solution.

I phoned Student Nutty Nurse.

“You know the air cooler in the office?”

“Yes!”

“Does it play music?”

“Yes!”

“Did you set some kind of timer on it to make it play?”

“Yes!”

“Why?”

“I wanted to surprise you for your Birthday”

“My Birthday’s not until March. You know that. When did you set it?”

“About ten months ago. I wondered why no-one had phoned me about it!”

So even though we no longer work together, he is still managing to get me into trouble. I managed to repair the air cooler, but I’m not sure it will ever work in the same way again.

However, I have found the instruction book and now I know how to set the timer. I can feel some Christmas music coming on!

6 comments:

fishwithoutbicycle said...

That's cute!!

Rosie said...

There's an air cooler that plays music? The things I learn out here in cyberspace.

Agnes Mildew said...

Hahaha! That's a great practical joke, but what a shame it didn't happen in March, eh? When is Student Nutty Nurse going to show us the extent of his writing talents? I am pretty sure I haven't yet seen a post from him!

alcoment said...

Fish - Cute!? Don't let him hear you say that, god knows where it would lead to ;)

Rosie - I know, I had no idea it could do that either!

Agnes - It was a shame it didn't go of in March, however SNN has a track record of great practical jokes that go slightly wrong!

As for when he's going to grace us with his presence, I'm not entirely sure. He commented a couple of weeks ago and requested step by step instructions, which were duly sent! However, I have a feeling that, as SNN is not as good on computers as he likes to think he is, he has got lost somewhere and is currently floating around the blogosphere, point blank refusing to ask for directions! I shall chivy him along and inform him that his public are waiting!

Heather said...

awwwwwwwwwww, come on...it IS cute! :) tee hee.

I actually had a similar thing happen to me. My friend Wendy and I would play practical jokes on each other all the time.

I came into work one day and fired up my computer. Suddenly, at it's HIGHEST possible volume, it began playing the theme song from the teeny-bopper hit show "Saved by the bell". I couldn't make it stop and people were coming out from everywhere to see what was happening.

I never did manage to pay her back for that...

alcoment said...

Wishful - That's just the kind of thing SNN would do too! I love practical jokes and pay back is always fun too!