CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday 15 October 2007

It's that time of year again!

As it is October, it is obviously time to start thinking about Christmas.

At least that’s what the shops are trying to make us do.

I have an issue with the shops and the way they try to control the seasons, but that’s for another blog.

The reason why I know it is October and October equals Christmas, is that preparations have begun for the Work Christmas Party!

Unfortunately, this is my task every year and I have to begin now to try and accommodate the whole list of do’s/don’ts/needs/wants/random and strange requests into one night. And it takes a hell of a lot of research. Luckily this year I do have some help.

You really wouldn’t have thought it would be that complicated to arrange one night out (let me repeat that; ONE night out) for 10 people.

But it is.

So far, the only consensus is that it should be a meal.

However, in that, I have to try and find somewhere that can accommodate the following requests (or instructions, depending on your point of view!):

* Not a chain.
* Not too noisy or busy, but not deathly quiet either.
* Doesn’t serve a traditional Christmas Dinner, but does serve traditional English food (Bloody fussy eaters!).
* Not too expensive, but not cheap either (Damn, I was aiming for MacDonald’s, but wait, then what would the vegetarians do?!).
* Plays music but not “Stupid Christmas Carols”, “Modern stuff” or “Lift Music”.
* Has a decent range of cocktails (That’s my request – I’m definitely going to need the aid of alcohol by the time the night actually arrives!).
* Only serves food on blue plates, preferably square with a gold trim, and drinks in glasses hand etched by fairies wearing dresses made from flowers (Ok, I made that bit up, but it would probably be easier to try and find that, than satisfy everyone else!).

I am seriously considering setting everyone up with the internet and a webcam. That way, we can all sit at home, listen to what music we want and eat what we like, still say we’ve had a party and there won’t be the risk of me being convicted for GBH!

Any ideas anyone?

7 comments:

Emmy said...

I'm in! lol what a great idea. Why must Christmas get here quicker every year?

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Ha, good luck satisfying the fusspots. On second thoughts, don't bother, just go for your cocktail place and if anyone complains tell them they can organise it next year ;-)

Heather said...

yep. web cam it is.

you know, i've been in your shoes and actually had a few people complain that I didn't plan well enough.

my response was to tell them i'd be glad to hand the planning of the party over to them so they could do it better than I.

you'll find this shocking, but they declined to take on the hours of planning and heartache....

alcoment said...

Emmy - I know! It always slightly worries me that the years seem to get shorter. Soon, we'll be down to a year that only lasts a day!

Fish - Cocktails will certainly come into it! I've suggested that other people could organise it before, surprisingly no one took me up on it!

Wishful - Yep, I thought I was on the right track with the webcam! I had the same experience, when I suggested someone else take responsibility, there were no takers!

Agnes Mildew said...

I have a good idea for you - tell everyone you have converted to a Jehovah's Witness, you no longer believe in Christmas, let them get on with it, and go out with your friends instead - they sound far too fussy to be fun, to be honest!

Stealth said...

You'll never make everyone happy. Know this in advance. Also know that someone will complain about something. Try not to let it bother you. Also know that not everyone will appreciate your efforts. Decide what your priorities on that list are and start with the most important (the bar, the music) and graduate to the least important (trafitional food). When anyone says anything less than encouraging to you about any aspect of the planning, do what Heather did and offer to let them take over or plan next year's event themselves.

alcoment said...

Agnes - That sounds like a good idea. However, progress has been made and the venue has been narrowed down to two options and I should have it all booked by the end of next week. My friends are much more fun, but hopefully as some of them used to work in the same place they will be able to come too!

Stealth - Ah, someone else has recognised the priority in organising this - the bar and the music!