CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday 30 July 2007

One of my addictions!

It’s amazing how easily we come to rely on technology and don’t really notice how much we take it for granted until it’s no longer there. I got an email from Best Friend today; she had been silent all weekend, which had been odd. She had been looking after 5 children and so I had been expecting desperate texts from her, yet…nothing. When I got into work there was an email saying that the little people had dropped her mobile into the washing up water, so now she had no mobile and, worse, no numbers!! We are in the process of sorting all of it out, but she admits to feeling lost without her phone.

I find it hard to manage without my mobile and hate not being able to contact people. It’s not as though I’m always getting calls or texts, but as soon as I find I’m not in signal range I get all panicky. I’m the same with the internet and emails. I have several email accounts at home, my main one that friends use and then other ones connected to various things on the web. On the rare occasions I can’t get online to check my mail I feel a bit odd and as if something is missing. But there are times that I thing it’s getting out of hand. The one day I stopped and thought was when I left the house carrying my laptop, checking I’d got both mobiles (my own and the work one) and turning my ipod on! As much as I love technology even I thought it was a bit too much.

Is there anyone under the age of 25 who remembers the old word processors, passing notes in class at school instead of texting, receiving a hand written letter from a friend, address books you have to write in and seeing an old fashioned dial landline that wasn’t a statement of retro chic!

As much as I sometimes think it’s all a bit too much, I can’t stop myself from eyeing up the latest mobile, feeling awe at how much they can cram into such a small thing and wanting the next, more advanced shiny new toy. I love the ping that says I have mail, the beep of a text coming through and the little lights winking at me when I turn the computer on.

Anyone else for Technoholics Anonymous...

2 comments:

fishwithoutbicycle said...

My mum's mobile just died as a bottle of water split open in her handbag. Fortunately she'd insured the phone, but she's lost all her numbers. She's waiting for everyone to call her :-)

I still keep an address book I write everybody's info in, just in case my technology goes tits up :-)

alcoment said...

I hope she gets called by eveyone! I've now decided that I'm going to keep an address book, I realised that if anything happened to my mobile I would lose so many numbers!

Maybe the old fashioned, non-technological answers are the best sometimes!