CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday 18 July 2007

In these shoes?

Crocs. What is about these shoes? Everywhere I look I see someone with a pair of these moulded rubber things on their feet, obviously very happy with them and feeling ‘trendy’. A walk down your local high street will show you the amount and range of people that are wearing them, I’ve even seen entire families (kids included) sporting these monstrosities.

Originally made as a boat shoe (I’m not going to go into the history, look here or here if you’re really that interested) they gained popularity through word of mouth. As the famous people began wearing them, they became the ‘in’ shoe to be wearing. There are also numerous websites devoted to them, whether you love or hate them. I also see that the company behind crocs are now cashing in and selling other products such as ponchos and T shirts.

Now, I can see that they must be comfortable. And I accept they are hygienic (wipe clean and all that!) and are recommended by podiatrists. But…they are so ugly. Why would you willingly wear a lump of plastic in ‘fun’ colours, just to look ‘cool’? These lumps are never flattering. If you’re on the larger side they do nothing to reduce your size and if you’re smaller you just look like you have freaky, giant feet! And why so many holes? I understand this allows sweat out and so reduces ‘stinky feet’ syndrome, but there is the cynical side of me that says this really must reduce manufacturing costs!

I know there have been cases of employers refusing to allow their employees to wear them to work because of health and safety reasons, as they have no backs. When I first heard this, I thought that there were at least some people with common sense. However, I have since found out that there are many different styles of crocs, including closed in ones, which most people can now wear to work.

I really hope this is a passing phase and people will finally realize that they have, yet again, been conned into a trend by the famous people and the media. I do not have a pair and have no intention of buying them. I can’t get away from the idea that someone has glamorized the orthopaedic shoe!

2 comments:

Terri Osburn said...

I hate these shoes. You are so right. Ugly! My child came home with some from her dad's house and they quickly went to the back of the closet never to be worn.

I've never tried them on but I don't care how comfortable they are. I'm not interested.

fishwithoutbicycle said...

I HATE them. They are acceptable on children, or in the garden, but I refuse to accept them on the streets of Manhattan!! Plus, I don't care how comfy they are supposed to be, plastic shoes+hot sticky summer=blisters waiting to happen.

I'd like to make a bonfire of these shoes. I'm very passionate in my hatred of Crocs ;-)